Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A slab Gage for the Band saw log slicer/Resaw Jig

Not long ago I reported on a method to "re saw fairly large logs on the band saw":http://lumberjocks.com/projects/2400.
The system works great with one exception:
It takes too long to orient the next cut.
To improve this situation I made yet another jig that I place the BS sled on and Line up.
bs-sledging

As you can see there is a vertical fence that can be adjusted from zero to about 4-1/2"
bs-sledjig3
I can now parallel the cut face to the fence , and quickly set the width of cut and keep the cut face parallel with the saw blade.
bs-sledjig4

This last shot shows a piece of wood slabbed off at 5/4 thickness . I will plane both sides now and split it again on the bandsaw to get to my final width of 1/2".
bs-sledjig6

No comments: